If your phone is more than just for gaming device, then you should put more security feature on it. If some of your personal and sensitive information is on your Google account, then that’s all the more reason to add some extra layer of protection to keep your phone safe. And this is where Google Authenticator comes in.
What is Google Authenticator?
The Google Authenticator is an app and a part of the 2-Step verification process each time you sign in to your Google account on a new device or browser. This provides a better layer of protection instead of just using a simple password to log in.
In short, when someone else tries to log in to your account on a new device, it will not be as easy as entering your password. Even if that someone knows your password, he or she will not be able to gain access to your account. Not unless an SMS, a phone call, or Google Authenticator app provides that someone a new and unique authentication code.
This authentication code will only be available to the device where it is installed along with your Google account. The 2-step verification code will make hacking your Google account more difficult for malicious entities.
Recommended Check: The Best VPN Services For 2018.
How to Move Google Authenticator to a New Device
If you are getting a new smartphone and you want to move the Google Authenticator app on it, we got that covered for you. This is a brief guide on how to switch Google Authenticator to a new device. In this guide, you will need to have access to your new smartphone and a PC. Let’s get started.
- On your new smartphone, log in to your Google account. Since you still have the Google Authenticator on your old device, you will need to get the authentication code from there. If not, use the registered phone number to receive the Authentication code via SMS or phone call.
- Once you have logged into your Google account on the new smartphone, launch Play Store on it.
- Now Search for the Google Authenticator app on Play Store.
- Tap the Install button.
- On your PC, open any web browser (preferably Google Chrome) and log in your Google account if you have not done it yet.
- You will need an authentication code from the old smartphone again to do this.
- When your account is finally logged in on the web browser, open a new tab and click on the 9-dots button on the top left corner of the screen.
- This will open a list of Google apps and services. Click on the Account icon to access the Google account settings.
- Below the Sign-in and Security, click on the Signing into Google.
- Under the Password and Sign-in Method, click on the 2-Step Verification button.
- On the next page, scroll down and look for the Authenticator App and click on it.
- A QR code bar will appear.
- This time, open the Google Authenticator app that you installed earlier on your new smartphone.
- To add an account on the Authenticator app, tap on the Scan a Barcode.
- The app shall ask for permission to use your camera. Just tap OK or Allow to launch the camera.
- Point the camera on the web browser’s QR code bar.
- The Google Authenticator will then show an authentication code. Type it in immediately on the web browser and click Verify or Done.
- That’s it. Your new smartphone can now provide you fresh authentication code each time you need one.
Every time you log in your Google account on a different device, you can get a new authentication code using the app. This is useful if you can’t access your SIM card to receive an SMS or a phone call.
Features of Google Authenticator
Here is a list of features and what the Google Authenticator app can provide you. This will be helpful if you want to know more about this Google’s app.
- The app can provide an authentication code even if without internet data.
- This app is compatible with different service providers.
- It also works for many accounts using one Android app. That means you can also use a single Google Authenticator app and manage multiple Google accounts on your one phone.
- The app also works on Android Wear.
- Easy to setup via QR code scanning.
- Comes in two themes: light and dark mode.
- Google created this app so this means that the service is reliable and secure.
The Google Authenticator app is a necessity especially in today’s type of society. There are so many people that want to exploit Google’s weaknesses and use hacked accounts for their own selfish agenda.
The app is basically your second layer of protection, and therefore it will give you safer and reliable security. This translates to all your personal accounts and the apps that you use to access your finances.
Accessing your personal accounts with an added process using a different device may sound tedious. But if you realize how much you can lose without it, you might want to reconsider. After all, what’s an added few clicks as an extra layer of security if it means protecting your personal data and even your life savings?
So what do you think about the Google Authenticator app? Do you have apps on your smartphone that have access to your sensitive personal information? Tell us your thoughts in the comment section below. We would love to know more about your impressions regarding the app.
Feel free to leave your questions down below if you have queries that you want us to answer. We will be more than willing to help you out as much as we can. And do not forget to share this article if this has helped you.